Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Samples Are Not Meals

I hand out food (for free) for a living. I'm used to people thinking I'm on the same level as those kiosk people at the mall. Believe me, I know how annoying they are; I try to avoid them just as fervently as you do. However, I am not commission based. Buy it, don't buy it ... my paycheck stays the same.

If you don't want the food, that's fine. I won't chase you down the aisle. But please remember that this is my job and I do have to talk to you. If you try to ninja something off my plate and there's an allergen warning...oddly enough, the excuse "he just came over and took it!" does not save either of us.

There was a woman ("The Papaya Woman") who walked from stand to stand with her daughter and two grandchildren ... and a papaya in her cart. Just one. Every time. As far as anyone knows, she never bought anything. This woman would approach the stand, grab multiple samples, and walk off to the next one. Less than an hour later the family would return. By the end of the day, I usually guessed that she and her family had eaten an entire meal for each of them. The looks she gave when I would try to talk to her were incredible. I knew she didn't want to listen to a speech about the two bites of food she was getting but it was my job.

Even if it's for the few seconds it takes me to say "Hi, welcome to the store. I have some food available for you to try today. Let me know what you think."... please just listen. I promise I'll only continue my speech if you say you like it and even then, I probably only know a nutritional fact, the price and where to find it.

Also, making comments about portion size does not make a difference. We are supposed to get a certain number of servings out of each package so no, you will not get a full serving like you would at home. The point is not to feed you but to give you a little taste and help you decide you want it.


Lesson: Don't be greedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment